Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How To Get Over Anxiety About Driving

One effective way to get over your driving anxiety is to examine your thought process during period of high anxiety. Very often, you will find that your anxiety begins to get worse when you start scaring yourself with irrational, unrealistic thoughts such as:

"Oh NO! I am stuck in this traffic jam. What if something bad happens? I would be trapped here and be unable to get help!"

"I can't drive on the bridge. It’s too dangerous. What if i got caught in a jam in the middle or the bridge? What if the bridge collapses? I can't get help easily while i am on the bridge!"

"I can't merge with the highways. All the cars are traveling too fast! What if an accident happens while i am trying to merge into the lane? What if i crash into someone?"

If you are mentally freaking out, your body will follow suit and your “panic response” kicks in. You heart races, you start breathing heavily, you feel dizzy and faint, etc…

Thus, it is important to get a hold of yourself and focus on realistic, rationale thoughts.

“Nothing will happen when I am stuck in a traffic jam. It’s just a normal jam; there is no need to worry. Nothing will happen to me.”

“I know what I am doing. I am following proper traffic rules; there is nothing to be afraid of.”
Be firm with yourself. Keep reminding yourself that there is nothing to be afraid of. Nothing will happen to you while you are driving.

>> Get more driving anxiety tips now and get over your driving anxiety now!

0 comments :